Intrepid Explorers

Exploring The West One Trip At A Time
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How I pack
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:22 pm 

I plan to add to this topic as I get ready for the next trip. But for now, here are some images and info on what I put in my fender bags on overnight trips where I will be camping off the machine. I use four Mad Dog zipperless fender bags on overnight trips. ( For day rides, I leave off the two fender bags containing the Mountain House food and cooking gear, and just have the other two up front on left and right fenders.) Mad Dog Gear was formerly called IPI, and the quality of their fender bags has been excellent in my experience. I think fender bags are very helpful for getting odds and ends distributed on the machines so that I don't end up with everything in one pack. They are also good for keeping often used items like gloves and camera handy.

------------
Rear offside fender bags

On the rear offside of the machine (offside being the side you typically do not mount a machine from) I keep the following contents, :

Jetboil

Hot pad to set steel wasrag pot on

platypus water bag (so I don't have to man handle the water flat pack everytime I need some water, I just fill the platypus bag and hang it on a handgrip)

One spoon for stirring and eating food

Heavy plastic measuring cup for measuring correct amount of water in Mountain House food pouch

small steel pot for hot water and wash rags

Camp soap for cleaning up hands and spoon

This is a pretty simple kitchen setup. :allright!:

-----------------------------------------------------------

Front offside fender bags

In these bags, I keep all my gloves, including elkskin for mild weather, Gortex for cold weather, and two extra pairs of gloves for misc conditions/circumstances (like loaning to friends :D ). Also in these front bags I keep a neck gaiter, a Seirus Masque, an OP balaclava and a Seirus Hoodz for various weather conditions. This bag is on my machine for all rides no matter if overnight or day ride.

---------------------------------------------

Onside rear fender bags

In these bags I keep food & snacks and they hold plenty of Mountain House food pouches. These bags are only on the machine for overnight rides.

-------------------------------------------------------

Front onside fender bags

I keep in these bags my camera, flashlights, head lamps, batteries, ID, GPS power cord and so forth.

----------------------------------------------

About the washrags and small steel pot. At night in camp just before bed, I put a package of four washrags in that little pot and jetboil some water. I pour the hot water over the wash rags and then use them for a wipe down/ body clean up. I use one washrag for "down there", another for hair&head and face, two for body & arms and legs. This works great and really helps sleep. I have trouble sleeping if I'm dirty from a day on the machines exploring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:05 pm 

Awesome pics and info
Thanx brad!

750 Kawi SS jet ski
87 Suzuki samurai
2000 Jeep GC v8 4x4
93 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
06 suzuki 650 svs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:12 am 

:?: Where's the other gear stored ? Like sleeping bag and pad....of which I used to use (Thermarest) when backpacking....can't do that anymore as my back just can't handle the weight.

What's with a tent or do you sleep under the stars ? I love to do that and it came from running rivers, sleeping on a sandy beach, watching the stars move around....including the many shooting stars I've seen. My wife and I would see who could be the first to find a satelite.

All in all, the season dictated what I carried other than the essentials. I never had more than 40#s and the use of mountain food was an essential. If I couldn't make it with boiled water, it wasn't carried. Dry goods were prepared ahead of time and put in plastic baggies for each day out. No fuel cans and stove. And never left a fire ring.

The Thermarest is for sale now and it's the last thing from roughing it days. I could put the pad down on a pebble beach and sleep like a baby.

Regards,
Buster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:33 am 

Buster wrote:
:?: Where's the other gear stored ? Like sleeping bag and pad....

Photos of that will be coming Buster, I'm waiting until the machine is actually going to be packed for that, which is going to be for a trip this month.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:36 pm 

Here is my machine, fully loaded for camping. Two gas packs, water pack, four fender bags, and that big rear rack bag for that other gear. Cheral at atvstuff.com made the big rear bag for me. I use it only when overnight camping, to haul all my stuff inside.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:09 pm 

Quote:
Here is my machine, fully loaded for camping. Two gas packs, water pack, four fender bags, and that big rear rack bag for that other gear. Cheral at atvstuff.com made the big rear bag for me. I use it only when overnight camping, to haul all my stuff inside.

Brad your Quad looks cool all loaded up :allright!:

I like to be prepared also. I am amazed at how little some people bring, I have a friend and he says he likes to come with me because he knows what I carry. My last trip to Mina I was the only one with a map compas and gps...I feel naked with out my gear.

Post subject: Re: How I pack
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:33 pm 

This was my first overnighter with a couple friends. We rode from home 160 miles into the desert. This is at my friends house before we took off. I have definitly refined my pack since!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:58 pm 

Where are the pics of the trip :who knows:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:34 pm 

I'll post them in the trip report section.